August 26, 2009

Ramadan Kareem

The yearly Holy Month for the Muslims has begun. The Ramadan (Kareem) started 3 days ago where Muslims start off their day with Sahur (first meal of the day) before dawn & they will fast (no food & drinks) till Maghrib, when the sun sets. Ramadan is the time where you could spot many bazaars or temporary setup stalls in neighbourhood selling great varieties of savoury Malay delicacies – beef rendang, ayam masak merah, lontong etc. Of course, the tasty sweet desserts are to be found too – kuih talam, seri muka, kuih sago etc.

Dubai, is a well known Muslim country in the Middle East – famous for its 7 stars hotel, Burj al-Arab & being recognized as shopping heaven. I had the opportunity to visit this lovely place during the Ramadan and it is an amazing experience. The Muslims in UAE do fast like every other believer around the globe, reciting their prayers & having their Iftar (breaking fast) with family & friends.


It is summer in Dubai now where the temperature climbs up to 43°C during midday. One could feel the gush of hot air brushing thru whenever he steps to the outdoor. Despite the incredible heat, the Muslims, holding on to their faith, carry out their fasting as a sign to clear their sins & be forgiven. Being a stranger to the weather, I could barely tolerate the heat. A short distance walking to the convenience store almost took my life. I wonder how do the construction workers deal with the scorching sun!


Another interesting incident, a list of Do’s & Dont's was issued out in the hotel to each guest. Those that caught my eyes are below:
  • Dress appropriately – you should cover your elbows & knees when in public
  • Do not drink & eat in public between 5.54am – 6.50pm
  • Do not play loud music in your car
I thought the above are just some guidelines but to my surprise, they are seriously weighed. I bought my dinner from an outlet in a food court & I was informed that only takeaway is allowed. After collecting my order, I found a seat to enjoy my meal. When I was about to take a sip of drink, a security guard approached me & told me that no eating is allowed till 6.50pm (which is another 20 minutes away). I then took a sip hoping he didn’t see me, but luck was not on my side – I was warned. I was not the only patrons being told off as there were many foreign visitors who are not aware about the rule. Everyone started to dig in as soon as the Maghrib prayer was broadcast.

This visit is an eye-opening one! Apart from the 20 mins suffering of staring at hot & aromatic chicken beriyani but not allowed to eat them, the short working hours during Ramadan is something to look forward to. The white collars basically work till 3pm daily! =) This is definitely a plus point to the superbly unbearable heat in summer! Do pay a visit here for a life time experience. It’s definitely worth while.

2 comments:

Kai and Baobei said...

erm ... nice experience XD don curi makan ya ~ respect ya ~ hahahaha ! 43'c can cook ourselves loh, bite ur own arms ~ hahahahaha !

NatEcila said...

Hahaaa!! Yeah...too hot already! I did try to take a bite but still not cooked. =)